The RESO Data Dictionary is designed to grow with the real estate industry. New ideas are welcome! Data Dictionary addition/change requests should follow the process laid out in this document.
- Review the Data Dictionary thoroughly to ensure that the new idea does not duplicate an existing field or lookup (aka enumeration). Sometimes, alternate names can be added as synonyms and/or used to improve a field's definition rather than adding more fields or lookups.
- Outline the business requirements for the new resource, field or lookup. Why is it needed and what is the benefit?
- If the field or lookup has legal or MLS rules requirements, include a reference back to the law or rule in question.
- Include an indication of how frequently your field or lookup is used as a count of total listings using the field or lookup within the total number of listings in your sample. From this, a utilization percentage can be created. Include the criteria used to determine the sample of listings used.
- Try to identify other cases of the requested data element(s) in current use. Per policy, any new fields or lookups will need to have at least two or more implementations prior to being adopted into the Data Dictionary. For small additions, like a field or lookup, this can be done in a post on the Data Dictionary Discussions Forum, a members-only collaboration space for topics related to the Data Dictionary.
- For new resources containing multiple data elements, a spreadsheet may be used to list the items requested aligned with the existing implementations.
- If possible, include an indication of how frequently any new fields or lookups are used as a count of total listings in your sample. The goal here is to create a utilization percentage. Include the criteria used to determine the sample of listings used.
Information to Include for New Fields or Lookups
- Name: Review existing fields or lookups and create a name that fits the current convention.
- Definition: Write a robust definition of your entry idea.
- Data Type (SimpleDataType and SugMaxLength): Include your recommended data type and suggested maximum field length. Leave blank for lookups.
- Lookups: If your recommended field is a pick list, please include lookups (enumerations). Lookups will also need to be defined.
- Justification: Give a reason why the field is important to your market. Also, if the field has legal or MLS rules requirements, be sure to include a reference back to the law or rules in question.
- Utilization: If possible, indicate how much use your field or lookup sees by way of a count of the number of listings using the field or lookup and the number of listings in your sample. Include the criteria used to determine the sample of listings used.
Post the Request
- If you are a RESO member, create a post on the Data Dictionary Discussions Forum with the information outlined above. The request may also be emailed to email@example.com.
- The request may be discussed with comments on the Data Dictionary Discussions Forum.
- The request may be added to a future Data Dictionary Workgroup meeting agenda for further discussion at the workgroup chair’s discretion.
3. Approval and Adoption
- Once the required implementations have been identified and request approved, the request will be brought to a vote at a Data Dictionary Workgroup meeting.
- If a majority vote is obtained, the request will be added to the next version of the Data Dictionary.
- The Data Dictionary Change Template should be completed to document the specific attributes of the new data element(s).
Page Revision Date: Jan 13 2023